Saturday, June 4, 2011

Back from Hollisterland

...AKA California. I traveled to the west coast with my parents for my cousin's wedding. And did some sightseeing too, of course! What I found initially odd was how I was familiar with the names of the local beaches thanks to that Cali chic, dark-lit, heavily perfume-scented store...Hollister. Even if you haven't ventured into this popular shopping locale, I'm sure you've spotted a friend (or even a stranger) wearing a fitted t-shirt or sweatshirt depicting the phrases "NEWPORT BEACH," "LAGUNA BEACH," "HOLLISTER SURF," etc. These phrases become more than just meaningless letters once you've been Pacific Ocean-side. Trust me. Beaches are innately beautiful, from the gleam of the seemingly endless turquoise water, to the sand being playfully licked by languid waves, and the plethora of swaying palm trees. During my (somewhat brief) stay in California, I was fortunate enough to have the pleasure of visiting Newport Beach (though due to our GPS, we missed the major attractions the area had to offer), Laguna Beach...and I even went to the iconic Santa Monica pier. I may not have swam in the water, but I did tread upon the sand and snap a multitude of pictures of the aforementioned beauty of the beaches.

Another highlight of the trip included taking the TMZ Hollywood Bus Tour, a tour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills affiliated with the entertainment show/website. To begin with, the bus itself was something to rave about. The vehicle was windowless (meaning it was open on the sides) and was equipped with two TV monitors so that footage from the TMZ show could be shown during the tour. Additionally, this bus had a high-tech sound system. On the back of each seat was a speaker that was connected to the monitors. Aside from the technological advancement of the vehicle, our tour guide was funny, charismatic, and energetic. The tour was interactive, meaning that tour-goers were asked to be on the look-out for celebrities going about their day-to-day lives. The closest we got to seeing a celeb was when one woman spotted Reese Witherspoon's ex-husband working out at a gym we passed. Our tour guide hopped off the bus and ran to the gym, camera interface in hand, but the man ended up declining an interview. I suppose the rich and famous are like us in that respect - they don't like getting press when they're a hot and sweaty mess. Despite never getting a celebrity to agree to an interview, the tour was still enjoyable, being a relatively speedy romp through some of the most famous neighborhoods and streets of southern California. Yes, we went down Rodeo Drive, as well.

 We also visited with my mom's friend from college, Gary, who is a playwright/screenwriter (for Hallmark, etc). He lives in a lovely house up in the Hollywood Hills. Did I say hills? They're more like mountains! Anyway, from his backyard, you can just make out the classic Hollywood sign. It's an incredible view! Gary chatted with us about the movie business, on every manner of topics imaginable, from what it means to be responsible for "re-writing" a screenplay to the complicated legalities that pertain to the business. As someone who one day aspires to be involved with similar work, the conversation definitely piqued my interest.

As for the wedding itself, the ceremony was beautiful, albeit unorthodox. The bride opted for a hand-fasting ritual, in which bride and groom are symbolically united with the aid of ribbons and other objects. There was also Pagan influence, as the ceremony focused greatly on nature. It's not creepy at all - it invokes beliefs similar to those held by the Native Americans. Not only was the exchange of words beautiful - the weather was, too! It was an idyllic California day: bright blue sky and warm sunshine without the humidity you'd experience in states like Florida. You get the picture. It was nice to visit with my cousin's relatives (his mother is Israeli, so there were many Israelis present...who coincidentally live in California!). What was sad, though, was that his father, my uncle, passed away last summer from a heart attack, so his presence was greatly missed. My aunt made sure to mention him during a speech she gave.

Overall, the trip was wonderful. It's not every day I get to fly from the east coast to the west! In fact, this was my first time in the state. Sure, the stores may be the same as on the east coast and beaches are inherently similar wherever you go, but seeing family and friends made the trip unique and memorable. I know I am very fortunate to be able to travel across the country, and by no means do I take my privileges for granted. As my mom pointed out while we were on the plane, as we flew over the California desert, "Many people never even get to see the country from the air." Even I have friends who haven't flown before. Traveling can be - and this isn't a stretch - an almost sacred sort of experience. You never leave someplace the same as when you got there. I guess this applies to daily life, as well. Everything we see, every event, seemingly big or little, shapes who we are as people. And we often tend to be shaped the most when  we're out of our element, out of the realm of the familiar, and in some strange, new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment