Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer cleaning? Better late than never.

I know this is going to sound incredibly cliché, but to de-clutter your life, you first need to de-clutter your living space. I did not just quote Oprah or something, I swear. If I quoted anyone, it was purely on a coincidental level. I digress. Anyway, my house can never remain clean and clutter-free for more than a few days at a time. Papers pile up. We go shopping. We move existing piles that somehow remained inconspicuous in their original location, but are very noticeable now.

As I'm thinking about my impending summer plans, I'm going to add "summer cleaning" to the roster. Sure, everyone does spring cleaning, but the clutter is really getting to me, and, as the old adage goes, it's better late than never. By no means am I a neat freak. My room is quite frequently in a state of disarray, for several reasons. It's not that big a living space, so there isn't that much room to begin with. Now, add piles of books, magazines, school papers, new summer clothes...and you get a mess.

So, before I go away for a month, I'm going to make a genuine effort to clean up my room. I don't even look at half the papers on the floor! However, the external mess is not the only issue at hand. I own several clothing items that I no longer wear (since they are old or "mistake" purchases). I need to be somewhat brutal if I'm going to be successful in attacking the piles of papers and cleaning out my drawers of what is no longer essential.

As I mentioned in my last post, summer is a time of possibility. And for me, this includes the possibility of really getting my room (and my house) clean once and for all. Or for the summer, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment