Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Month Spent in the Big Apple


I'm back from New York now...well, I've been home for a little while, getting reacquainted with (comparatively) quaint suburban life, catching up on required summer reading (Tess of the D'Urbervilles), and doing other banal daily-life type activities. To put it simply, I had the time of my life at Barnard College's four week-long "Summer in the City" program. Actually, that would be a huge, vague understatement.


Where shall I start? Well, the people - students and teachers alike - were wonderful. I met many kindred nerd spirits, and others, who while not nerds themselves, enjoyed the company of Potterheads and grammar freaks (I use that last term affectionately) alike. There was always someone to have a fandom discussion with, or even a stimulating intellectual conversation. I fondly declare, these were my kind of people.


The classes naturally contributed to the quality of the experience, as well. I took two creative writing courses: Writing Place and Writing about the Arts. Trust me - I did plenty of writing, and I wouldn't have liked to have spent my summer any other way. One of my greatest passions in life is for the art of the written word, and the environment at Barnard definitely fostered the creative literary process. I even had the opportunity to make a zine - a short self-published magazine that emerged from a strong do-it-yourself movement - for Writing about the Arts.


Of course, the metropolitan environment also played a large role in my enjoyment. As a bulletin board on my dorm floor declared: Manhattan was my playground. The hustle and bustle of Midtown was just a few subway stops away on the 1 Train. Aside from an 11:30 pm curfew on weekdays (and a 12:00 am curfew on weekends) there was the freedom to explore a whole urban world outside of class. The subway, and Starbucks, bookstores, and restaurants within walking distance, are all city conveniences that I now miss.


It's also worth mentioning that after experiencing the college lifestyle for a month, I'm feeling much better about going away to college in a year. No longer is the future a vast unknown. While I can't guarantee what college I will be attending, at least I know there are plenty of teenagers out there with similar interests, from all over the States (and the world!). Students came from as close as Pennsylvania and as far as China. It was truly a unique experience that I will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment