Saturday, August 20, 2011

Volunteering, Baking, and Rainy Days


Recently, I've been volunteering at a school for children on the autistic spectrum. I had the chance to help out in an elementary-level classroom (sitting with one child at a time as he completed his classwork), as well as help out with office work (photocopying, stapling, putting packets together). It was inspiring to observe not only the patient, dedicated staff members, but the students themselves. Being in a learning environment in which even basic math and reading comprehension do not come easily reminded me that the thought process itself is a gift. On a more broader scale, being alive...being human is a gift. No matter our capabilities, we have an innate curiosity to interact with our environment. We all see the world in a different light, and as a result, interact with our environment in response to our unique thought processes. And autistic children are definitely keen on interacting with the world around them, preoccupied by the simplest items within it, such as a book about reptiles or colorful clip art found on Google Images.


I've also been on a bit of a baking kick lately. Okay, so I've only baked those classic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies at my mom's suggestion, but they turned out to be perfectly delicious, as usual. Cupcakes are next on my baking list. I found a cupcake recipe book at HomeGoods a few months ago, and have been wanting to bake the mini-delectables since then. Baking cookies this past week provided me with the inspiration and incentive to whip up other treats. The process of making the dough, I found, was relaxing. I was a bit tired/cranky that day, and baking lifted my spirits. As did eating the warm, gooey confections, of course. Freshly made baked goods are surely a cure-all.


And lastly, it was rainy the past week. We got double-whamied with southern and northern fronts, respectively. As my friend says, rainy days are perfect for fostering creativity. You sure wouldn't want to be participating in some kind of outdoor activity in that weather, that's for sure! (There were thunderstorms as well.) Indeed, I indulged my creativity. On Thursday, I spent the day at said friend's house. We swapped stories/writing we'd been working on, and then began to make a scrapbook for her characters/story world (which was my idea). I drew her characters, while she compiled descriptions and traits (everything from outer appearance to Myers-Briggs personality types). I enjoy scrapbooking in general and combining the activity with creative writing only made it more enjoyable. Making a collection of "character" pages helps you get more in touch with your characters. I'd recommend story-scrapbooking to anyone who wishes to further visualize and solidify design and characterization.

No comments:

Post a Comment