Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Return: A Resolution of Sorts


I know I've been away from this blog for almost a year. The thing is, even though at some points I was at a loss about what direction I should take it in, the idea of having a "happiness" blog and a place to keep tabs on whatever trends I am into still appeals to me. It didn't hurt that a friend recently pointed out that I've mixed in some sage wisdom along with the happy, happy, joy, joy stuff. Although I've explored other media platforms, being the indecisive person that I am, I couldn't pick a favorite. Prior to creating a Blogger account, I made my Tumblr, which I have primarily used as a place to amass (aka reblog) visual loveliness and express a musing or mundane thought here and there. The reason I made this blog to begin with was as a project for the creative writing class I took during my junior year of high school. Of course, now that I have a year of college behind me, that feels like a lifetime ago! What I'm getting at is the fact that I want to return to this blog, even if I only post when the whim strikes rather than on a regular basis. I've also dabbled in Wordpress, creating a blog on which to post longer, editorial-style pieces (600+ words). Yet the image-oriented format I've been using on here has its merits too. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to write a longer piece and just want to write something short and peppy, accompanied by lovely pictures.
College is teeming with opportunities to explore the facets of your identity, especially when you go to school in a big city—so many places to see (from neighborhoods to museums) and interests to indulge (from journalism to flute-playing). For instance,in the course of the year, I've learned about independence (here I'm not just referring to the absence of parental authority, but the fact that I went by myself to interview people for the college daily, for example), discovered new bands, made memories over cappuccino. In turn, I seek to express the various aspects of myself through the different media platforms I use. After all, my 11th-grade self thought it would be apropos to make the blog title on here "My Voice" in Latin. (English was too mainstream, huh?) Essentially, I've come to realize, ever so slowly, that it is possible to reconcile the many sides of the decagon that is my identity. I can be girly. I can be pensive. Ecstatic. Moody. While freedom can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to social media, there is beauty in the open-endedness of it. In other words, if I feel that I'm being placed in a box, it's a box of my own invention, a reflection of how I think others perceive me. How others sees me should never inhibit me from discovering what truly fascinates and inspires me. People are complex creatures, and I'm willing to investigate what kind of person I am by engrossing myself wholeheartedly in what I'm passionate about.

So...what are you passionate about? How do you define yourself?

Images all found on Tumblr.


No comments:

Post a Comment