Monday, June 17, 2013

One of Those "Peek Into My Life" Posts...

You can count on summer to provide ample opportunity for appreciating life's simple joys. In general, I tend to value experiences, and if it came down to spending my own money, I'd rather pay for a delicious meal or tickets to see a play or musical than buy a new dress. I have a great memory, and I relish in reflecting back on certain scenes from the experiences I've had, mundane and extraordinary. That's not to say that I'm impervious to the happiness that material goods can bring, contrary to the fact that in 8th grade, as part of my school's IB program, I wrote a paper about consumerism and its negative ramifications. I'll admit it: I love my stuff. Your clothing, the furnishings in your room, and even the books you read reflect who you are as a person, the nuances that make you you. Thus, I'll take a few minutes to expound upon some recent purchases I'm particularly smitten with. Here, take a peek...

  
Jonathan Adler for Barnes & Noble Ampersand Bookends: My mom spotted these vibrant ampersand bookends just as we were about to leave the store. I've admired Jonathan Adler's designs since I saw them for the first time, and I can never force myself to walk past the display table at B&N without perusing the newest stock of items. I've been looking for a cute pair of bookends for a while. At school, all the books on my desk have a tendency to fall over if they aren't balanced just so. In the meantime, while I'm at home, I thought I'd put these fanciful-meets-practical desk accessories to use, while simultaneously showing off my latest library haul (and the book covers just happen to match my bedspread!).

   
A Trio of Comfy T-Shirts from Target: When I was at Target the other day, I couldn't resist picking up these t-shirts. They were all on sale and are quite comfortable. I'm a big fan of striped shirts. Two years ago at Target, I bought a magenta shirt with white stripes. Another favorite is a navy-and-white striped Land's End t-shirt that I actually bought to wear as part of a Halloween costume (I was a French girl). Both of these shirts have become a bit worn out, since I wear them so often. I figured my wardrobe could use some fresh stripes. Plus, the new shirts are v-necks. As for the blue-green "Sea Island" shirt—I found it in the men's department when I was helping my mom shop for my cousin. I imagine it will become a new favorite sleep shirt or lounge shirt.

 
Graphique Paris and New York Notecards: HomeGoods (and on a similar note, Marshall's and T.J. Maxx) are like Forrest's famed box of chocolates. You never know what discounted wonders you'll discover inside. I've picked up the bargain-hunting habit from my mom (though I usually just tag along when she goes). I found these beautiful notecards in the stationary/notebook aisle. Since I love all things French and go to school in New York, I couldn't resist. Plus, I want to get in the habit of writing hand-written notes and thank-yous more often. What better excuse to pick up a pen than having these cheerful cards handy?



No comments:

Post a Comment