Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Today's Musings...

At my school, there are several boxes like the one above scattered throughout the building. A box? What could be so extraordinary about a plain ol' cardboard box, you ask? Each of these boxes has a purpose: to be utilized as a drop-off spot for items to be donated to soldiers serving in the Middle East. Now, dropping off items like travel-sized deodorant and white t-shirts may not appear to be the most important difference a person could make in the world, but amenities from the States bring a bit of comfort to desert-locked soldiers.

As you can imagine, it's quite easy to find the items for this service project - take a trip to Target or a local drug store. However, many high schoolers have far more important things to worry about than donating toiletries to the brave men and women serving our nation, like whether or not their boyfriends or girlfriends still love them.

Out of curiosity, I peeked into one of the boxes. Not to my surprise, the box contained some trash and a few quarters. It was a little sickening. Those students might think, sarcastically, "Here's my lunch money...and my empty French fry container too." What will the quarters buy? A stick of gum?

I may be hypocritical, as I have yet to make a donation, but never would I even have an inkling of the notion to dump my trash and a few spare coins into a box meant to be a medium through which to commit an act of kindness and charity. It's a disgrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment